Date posted: February 9, 2015
Following the successful completion of the first phase of the refurbishment and fit out for The CASS at Central House, Aldgate, we are delighted to have been awarded the commission to continue the renewal of the facilities in Calcutta House, Nr Aldgate East tube a few hundred meters from the previous commission for the Faculty of Arts and Architecture.
The project breathes new life into the C19th building, creating a new entrance space and will deliver modern, flexible studio and teaching spaces to complement the highly respected academic community of staff and students.
The ‘Warehouse’ of Calcutta House was built in 1932 as a welfare centre for tea importers Brooke Bond, who operated substantial warehouses and factories to the west. The ground floor was a workers’ lounge complete with dance floor. On the first floor was a workers dining room and on the second floor, office staff dining room and kitchens. The directors’ dining room was on the third floor. The building was celebrated in the 28th October 1932 issue of ‘The Builder’ for its high quality of finish and technologically advanced services.